Friday, September 30, 2011

Maple Glazed, Brown Sugar Scones

My mister is a man of few words.

Our conversations are often quite one sided as I could blab for hours while he waits to say something he feels has actual value to the conversation.
I do not have that restraint.
I'm afraid if the thought comes into my head, it will also come out of my mouth.

The compliments I get whenever I bake something are often a shrug accompanied with some sort of line like "yah, it's good", or "I like it".
So the day I made scones and he told me they were the best scones he'd ever had I was blown away. I was even speechless for a couple of seconds while I processed the magnitude of this compliment!
I love these scones a dangerous amount. The maple flavouring in the icing with the tender yumminess of the brown sugar scones makes all your worries of the day just melt away. They are super-duper with coffee too.
I can't think of a better way to welcome October then to make these babies.

Maple Glazed, Brown Sugar Scones

For the Scones:
3 cups four
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 sticks (1 cup) cold unsalted butter
1 egg
3/4 cup buttermilk

Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Cut the butter into the flour mixture, until the butter has been broken into pea sized pieces.
Mix the egg and buttermilk together and pour into the flour/butter and mix using a fork until just combined.
Pour the loose dough onto a work surface and push together into a disk. Cut the dough into 12 triangular pieces (like a pizza), or 8 large triangular pieces.
Bake at 350 for 22 minutes until the tops are just starting to show some colour.

Maple Glaze
(This is Pioneer Woman's fantastic recipe... make it, drink it, looooove it!!)
1 pound icing sugar
1/4 cup milk
4 tbsp (1/2 stick) melted butter
splash of coffee
pinch of salt
2 tsp maple flavouring/extract

In a medium bowl stir everything together until smooth.

Pour or drizzle the icing over the scones once they are completely cooled.

And then eat... eat them all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment