Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Poke Cake

I love baking with Zac (Eli's still not exactly interested in helping yet), but I find it a real challenge to find easy recipes that he can do pretty much all on his own.
If we're baking Zac prefers to be in charge and likes me to assist him, so the less work I need to do the better the experience... for everyone...
I've heard of "Poke Cake" before and even seen pictures of the end result but didn't really know how to go about making it. Once I found a recipe I knew it was a perfect one for Zac to tackle.

Poke Cake
1 package cake mix (I used rainbow chip but yellow or white would work well)
1 package of your favorite jello flavor
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cold water
2 cups whipping cream

Make the cake according to the package directions and bake in a 9"x 13" pan and allow to cool for about an hour.
Using a fork or fat cake tester poke holes all over the cake.
Mix the jello powder with the boiling water until dissolved and then add the cold water, pour all over the cake and put it in the fridge for 2-4 hours.
Whip up the whip cream and spread all over the cake.
Simple enough for the kids to make, good enough for the adults to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment